Ozone is a molecule composed of three oxygen atoms instead of two, which also appears in nature under circumstances of pressure and temperature. Therefore, Ozone "O3", is a gas present in our atmosphere with a great oxidation potential, it has been used for many years for the disinfection of water, the environment and for medical purposes.
Its discovery is a historical fact that ordinary people ignore, therefore, we will mention the most outstanding moments in which many scientists worked to leave this great legacy to humanity:
- In May 1840, the German chemist Cristian Friedrich Schonbein (1799-1868), discovered ozone.
- In 1857 Wemer Von Siemens built the first upper induction tube, with which Fritz Kleinmann carried out the first tests for the destruction of microorganisms.
- In 1870, the German doctor Lender made the first publication on practical biological effects for water disinfection. The discovery of the antimicrobial properties of ozone revolutionized the medicine of the time.
- In 1873, Fox discovered its ability to kill microorganisms.
- Nikola Tesla, of Croatian origin, patented the first ozone generator (1896), and in 1900 founded the “Tesla Ozone Co”, a manufacturer of generators for medical use. He was the first to ozonate olive oil, the same technique that is currently used to make cosmetics with ozonated olive oil.
- Ozone began to be used in Germany after World War I to treat people with infected wounds, frozen feet, gangrene and pressure ulcers.
- Dr. Fish published in 1932 the dental applications of ozone to treat cavities.
- In countries like Russia, Cuba and Spain great discoveries were made with ozone. You can find out more by clicking here.
The above, to refer to the fact that ozone did not appear two days or 3 years ago and it has not been discovered in the middle of the health crisis at the beginning of 2020. Society does not know it because it is so effective in killing bacteria, viruses, parasites and any pathogenic agent that large industries such as pharmaceuticals do not want their disclosure and recognition.
Coronavirus and ozone
Coronavirus is a coronavirus that causes flu in its normal state, as well as more advanced flu (a severe form of pneumonia). It is a zoonotic virus, that is, it affects humans and animals. The Coronaviridae family belongs to the order of Nidovirales, within Group IV (positive single-stranded RNA virus). These viruses have large RNA genomes, which means that they mutate and reproduce at an unimaginable speed, as happened in the Chinese city Wuham and what is happening in Spain, Italy and countries on other continents, leaving hundreds of people infected and many deceased.
Ozone is 10 times more powerful than bleach or chlorine, it destroys coronavirus and other viruses, bacteria, germs, nematodes, fungi and other microorganisms at a lower concentration and contact time than with chemical products. With ozone concentrations of 0.1-0.2 mg / L.min, a 99% inactivation of rotavirus and poliovirus is achieved, among other pathogens studied, belonging to the same Group IV of the Coronaviruses.
In the United States, the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) has made a list of disinfectants that eliminate viruses and bacteria, but since ozone cannot be packaged, it is not written there. On the other hand, in the European Union with the entry into force of the Regulation for Biocidal Products, ozone has been included as a biocide for different uses, including for the disinfection of surfaces in contact with food products.
The following table includes the naked viruses considered by the EPA when deciding the disinfectant efficacy of a product: rotavirus, within the group of enteric viruses, as well as polio virus, from the same group, in which coronaviruses are included.
It is effective in disinfecting water and the environment with the appropriate dose. Eliminate the Ebola virus in the air, then imagine how advantageous it is to use it to disinfect the air we breathe without leaving toxic residues for the body, something that today is achieved with calibrated and measured domestic ozone generators with the levels of ozone suitable for people to breathe safely.
Chun-Chieh Tseng &Chih-Shan Li (2006), “Ozone for Inactivation of Aerosolized Bacteriophages”, Aerosol Science and Technology, 40:9, 683-689, 2006. DOI: 10.1080/02786820600796590
CDC, “Interim Guidance for Environmental Infection Control in Hospitals for Ebola Virus”